16 February 2015

Creamed Tuna on Toast


I'm pretty sure this is one of those things that there is no middle ground: Either you love it or you hate it. Around here, we love it, although we don't eat it very often since it's not even remotely good for you. But since we're in this ridiculous stretch of hideously cold weather (had you told me a week ago I would be giddy over it being a whopping 5 degrees today I would've said you were crazy), I wanted some. Because it's total comfort food, and requires ingredients I always have in the house.

However, I did make some changes to the way my family has made it since well before I was born in an effort to cut down on calories, fat, and carbs. It's not exactly the same, but it was pretty close and really darn tasty.




Tuna and toast are mandatory, of course. I used 12 whole grain bread to help combat the carbs and increase fiber. Instead of cream or whole milk I used skim, and I made my roux with whole wheat flour instead of all-purpose. I also left out salt entirely, and used garlic powder and extra black pepper instead. And then because I could, I also added some Parmesan cheese. You couldn't taste it, exactly, but it definitely added depth of flavour.


First step is to make the roux. I melted the butter, then whisked flour and garlic powder into it and heated over low heat, whisking constantly, until it turned a lovely shade of golden brown. Roux is very picky, so be careful you don't burn it by trying to turn the heat up. That won't make it happen faster, it'll just make you have to start over again. It only took about 5 minutes to get to this point.


I pulled the pan off the burner to whisk the milk in, then returned it to medium-low heat and stirred frequently until the milk started to thicken. I honestly wasn't paying that much attention, but I think it was about 5 minutes.


From there, I basically just dumped everything else into the pan and kept heating it over low heat until it was hot and the cheese melted. I did microwave the peas for about 1 1/2 minutes before adding them (I didn't decide to add them until I started cooking so they were still frozen), but everything else just went in. I was also baking some cinnamon rolls for something else, so I ended up simmering, stirring occasionally, for about 30 minutes before I served.


I didn't take a picture of the toast. I figured you'd get it without a visual.

To serve, I tore the toast into bite-sized pieces and put it in soup bowls, then ladled however much of the tuna mixture I felt like I wanted on top. Total comfort food in a bowl, and considering what it is, not too bad on the nutrition scale, either. I figured we were burning off enough calories shivering to make up for it.

Creamed Tuna on Toast
Serves 4

3 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons whole wheat flour
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
2 cups nonfat milk
4 ounces Parmesan cheese (shredded)
1 (12 ounce) can tuna in water, drained
1/2 cup frozen peas, cooked
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
4 slices whole grain toast, buttered

In a large saucepan, melt butter and whisk in flour and garlic powder. Continue heating over low heat, whisking constantly, until roux is a deep golden brown, about 5 minutes.

Remove pan from heat and whisk in milk until well-blended. Return pan to medium-low heat and continue heating, whisking frequently, until starting to thicken. Stir remaining ingredients except toast into pan and continue simmering over low heat, stirring occasionally, 25-30 minutes.

Tear each slice of toast into bite-sized pieces and put it in bowls. Divide tuna mixture between bowls and serve hot.

Serving Size: 368 g
Calories: 617
Calories from Fat: 284
Total Fat: 31.6 g
Saturated Fat: 10.2 g
Trans Fat: 0.0 g
Cholesterol: 112 mg
Sodium: 847 mg
Total Carbohydrates: 43.8 g
Dietary Fiber: 5.5 g
Sugars: 7.1 g
Protein: 41.2 g

No comments:

Post a Comment