05 February 2015

Hamburger "Steaks" in Tomato Gravy



I had a bee in my bonnet about these two boxes of Omaha Steaks burger patties in my freezer. They were each received free with an order, and they were virtually burning a hole in my pocket. Then I remembered I also had some shredded Mozzarella cheese from another recipe, and from there I decided to come up with my version of what I was told was a traditional Southern recipe.

Being winter, I had to use canned tomatoes and dried herbs, but I suspect I'll be making this again come summer when all of those things are growing in my yard. Because it was amazingly tasty as it was.




These aren't all the ingredients I used, because I kept adding things as I went. In addition to the burgers, tomatoes, tomato sauce, seasonings, and cheese shown here, I also added a second can of diced tomatoes, some Italian seasoning, and a dash of hot sauce.


First, I drained one can of diced tomatoes, then added it to a pan with the tomato sauce, basil, thyme, oregano, and red pepper flakes. I set it to simmer for about a half hour, stirring it whenever I happened to walk through the kitchen.


At the end of about a half hour, I added the onion (cut in half, then sliced and separated into half-rings) and some minced garlic and left it to simmer for another 15 or so minutes.


It turns out I simmered it so long that it condensed down to the point I was afraid I wouldn't have enough. So I added a second can of diced tomatoes (undrained), and about a teaspoon of Italian seasoning and 5-6 drops of Tapatio hot sauce to compensate. I let that simmer about 15 minutes more, because then there was too much liquid. I'm a really poor judge of that, and have given up hope of ever being any different.


Then I melted a spoonful of bacon grease in a large skillet. I'm guessing it was about a tablespoon, but I didn't really measure. Why? Because bacon, that's why! I didn't want the burger patties to stick to the pan, and everything tastes better with bacon.


I sprinkled the patties with some salt and pepper, and fried them for about 4 minutes per side. They weren't done, but they didn't need to be. I was just going for browned and with some of the bacon flavour. I then removed them from the pan and poured out the excess grease.


The I put the pan back on the stove, added the tomato gravy, and put the burger patties back in the pan. I covered and simmered without stirring for about 25 minutes, then removed the cover and simmered, stirring occasionally, for about 10 more minutes.


The burger patties ended up being well done, and the tomato gravy was the perfect amount to spoon over the couscous I served on the side. No, I did not intend to serve it over couscous. My original thought was brown rice, but apparently I used the last of it and never made a note. I wish I could blame someone else for that, but I can't.


I put some couscous on our plates, then placed a burger patty on each one. Then spooned gravy over the top and sprinkled shredded Mozzarella cheese over everything. It wasn't until after I took this picture that I remembered I was going to make some green beans to go with it for colour contrast and also because we usually eat a vegetable, but there was enough food we didn't really miss them.

Hamburger "Steaks" in Tomato Gravy
Serves 4

2 (15 ounce) cans diced tomatoes (1 drained, 1 not)
1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
1/4 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
2 teaspoons fresh thyme (or 1/2 teaspoon dried)
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 medium onion, cut in half, sliced, and separated into rings
5-6 drops hot pepper sauce (I used Tapatio)
1 tablespoon bacon grease (or butter, or margarine, or shortening)
4 (4 ounce) hamburger patties
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 cup shredded Mozzarella cheese
2 cups couscous (prepared)

Combine tomatoes, tomato sauce, and seasonings (red pepper flakes through Italian seasoning) in a large saucepan. Heat to bubbling, then reduce heat to low and simmer 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Add garlic, onion, and hot sauce to the pot. Continue simmering, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes.

Meanwhile, in a large skillet melt bacon grease (or whatever grease you're using). Sprinkle hamburger patties with salt and pepper and add to pan. Fry 4-5 minutes on each side, then remove from pan and drain excess grease.

Add tomato gravy to skillet, then place hamburger patties on top. Cover and simmer 25 minutes without stirring, then remove cover and simmer an additional 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Divide couscous between plates, place one hamburger patty on each, then divide tomato gravy between plates, covering the burgers and couscous. Sprinkle each serving with 1/4 cup Mozzarella cheese and allow to melt before serving.

If you'd rather, you can serve over rice or pasta.

Serving Size: 587 g
Calories: 968
Calories from Fat: 412
Total Fat: 45.7 g
Saturated Fat: 19.9 g
Trans Fat: 0.0 g
Cholesterol: 110 mg
Sodium: 986 mg
Total Carbohydrates: 86.0 g
Dietary Fiber: 9.4 g
Sugars: 11.4 g
Protein: 52.8 g

This is one of those times I'm glad I didn't figure out the nutrition information until after we already ate. Because those numbers are simply not acceptable under my mother's diet. But... we splurged. I've been keeping it even lower than what she's allowed to have recently, so it should come out OK in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment