25 September 2014

Bacon and Bell Pepper Frittata


Have I yet gone on about my love of quiches and frittatas on the blog yet? It seems like I've mentioned them at least once. But I do love them. There is something to be said for being able to throw virtually anything into a pan, pour beaten egg over it, and call it dinner. The best part is if you pay even a modicum of attention to your ingredients you really can't help but make it healthy.

This particular frittata (as defined by me, a frittata is typically done on the stove) came about because by the time I got to cook I had completely forgotten what my plans were for the bell peppers I bought several days earlier. They were starting to get a little wrinkly, so since I also had most of a package of bacon that wasn't spoken for, I decided to see what I could come up with.



Nothing fancy here, just some bell peppers, bacon, cheese, eggs, and seasoning. I also had a jalapeno pepper from my sister's garden that wasn't bad yet but had turned completely red (and thus not at all hot), so I tossed that in as well. Why not! There was also onion and garlic, which apparently I chose not to include in my "ingredients" picture. You'll have that.



I had a little more than half a pound of bacon left, but I only used about 8 slices of it. I chopped it raw and fried it for a few minutes, then added the onion and garlic to brown.



Once the bacon was crisp and the onion was translucent, it was time to toss in the peppers. Be VERY careful when you do this! If there is any water at all on your peppers, it will cause the bacon grease to go on the attack when you dump in your peppers! I managed to avoid seriously burning myself, but easily half of the peppers ended up on the stove instead of in the pan when my hand jerked away from the splatter.



When the peppers have softened, whisk together the eggs and milk and pour into the pan. I stirred to ensure the egg mixture was on the bottom of the vegetables as well as over the top, but you don't have to. Either way, smooth the top to make a relatively even surface, then cover the pan and cook until the eggs are set.




You may be able to see a couple of what appear to be holes in the surface... they are holes. When I pulled the lid off I had two huge domes of egg where the steam had tried to escape. After I punctured them with my spatula they fell back level, but they still acted as vents for the steam. I won't tell you how many tries it took to get this picture without billows of steam obscuring the food.



Cheese... because, cheese. Do I really have to justify it? I didn't think so. But really, although the entire top ends up covered in cheese, it's really not all that much. Assuming it's sprinkled evenly, it only amounts to 1/2 ounce per serving.




Bacon and Bell Pepper Frittata
Serves 8

1/2 pound bacon
3 garlic cloves (minced)
3/4 cup yellow onion (chopped)
1 cup red bell pepper (chopped)
1 cup yellow bell pepper (chopped)
1 cup orange bell pepper (chopped)
1 tablespoon jalapeno pepper (minced)
1 1/2 teaspoons Caribbean Spice blend (I use Spice Merchants Caribbean Island blend)
8 large eggs
1/3 cup fat-free milk

4 ounces cheddar cheese (grated)

Step 1
Heat a large skillet over medium heat.
Step 2
Chop bacon and fry, stirring occasionally, 10 minutes.
Step 3
Add onion and garlic and cook an additional 5 minutes; add bell and jalapeno peppers and seasoning and cook for another 5 minutes or until peppers start to soften. Drain excess grease/liquid from pan.
Step 4
In a bowl, whisk together eggs and milk until well-blended; pour mixture into pan and stir to combine, then smooth top.
Step 5
Cover pan, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook for 15-20 minutes, until eggs are set.
Step 6
Sprinkle cheese over entire surface, cover pan and let stand 5 minutes to melt.
Step 7
Remove from heat, remove cover, and let stand 5 minutes before slicing and serving.


Serving Size: 150 g
Calories: 303
Calories from Fat: 194
Total Fat: 21.6 g
Saturated Fat: 8 .4 g
Trans Fat: 0.0 g
Cholesterol: 232 mg
Sodium: 825 mg
Total Carbohydrates: 5.0 g
Dietary Fiber: 1.0 g
Sugars: 2.9 g
Protein: 21.1 g

No comments:

Post a Comment