31 August 2015

Bacon and Potato Frittata


If you've been around for a while, you know that by far the vast majority of my recipes are born because I'm standing in my kitchen and realize I have something I need to use or it's going to go bad. This one is no exception. Earlier this summer I bought a bag of small red potatoes intending to make my Dill & Sour Cream Potato Salad (because we love it and also because I wanted to get pictures so I could do a blog post), and then life happened and I completely forgot about it.

Fast forward about six weeks, and you'll find me opening the drawer where I keep potatoes and realizing they were still in there. See, the trouble is, I normally don't have potatoes since they're on the "you can't eat that" list for my mother. But there they were. So I looked around at what else I had, and came up with this. I was really pleased with how it turned out, and even more pleased with how low carb it was!




There are eight potatoes in the picture, but I ended up only using six. I figure that's OK, since I also didn't use all the bacon, eggs, garlic, milk, or cheese. I did, however, use the entire onion and all the fresh herbs. And although I put both the salt and pepper shakers in the photo, I ended up not adding any salt since the bacon provided plenty enough.


I forgot to take a picture of the bacon frying, but you get it, right? I chopped the bacon and then fried it in my large shallow cast iron skillet, then removed it to paper towel to drain and added the onion and garlic to the grease to saute for a couple of minutes.


Then I added the sliced potatoes, sprinkled on some pepper, and cooked, stirring/flipping them every few minutes, until they were tender. It took something like 10 minutes.


While the potatoes were cooking, I whisked together some eggs, milk, and the minced fresh herbs along with some pepper. I set the mixture aside for a few minutes while I was finishing up the potatoes, but you could probably make it right before you add it to the pan. I was just standing there looking for something to do while I waited to stir.


When the potatoes were tender, I added the bacon back into the pan and stirred to evenly distribute it among the potatoes. There was still a little bit of bacon grease left in the bottom of the pan, but it wasn't so much I felt compelled to drain it. I figured it would help the frittata not stick to my pan, and that's exactly how that went.


I then poured the egg mixture evenly over the pan, and reduced the heat to medium-low. I let it cook without stirring for about 10 minutes, until the bottom and sides were mostly set but the top was still a bit runny. If you cook it on the stove until the top is firm, it'll burn on the bottom.


From there, I stuck it under the broiler for a few minutes, until the top was completely cooked and starting to get brown. Just after this picture was taken, I sprinkled the cheese on top and put it back under the broiler for a couple of minutes to melt.


A couple too many minutes, as it turns out. I got distracted by the need for a side dish and just turned the oven off instead of removing the frittata entirely, so it got a little more well done than was ideal. Not that it wasn't good, it's just that I'm not a fan of crispy cheese. If you choose 2-3 minutes rather than the 5-6 I did, it should be fine.


The important part it to let it stand for a few minutes before you slice and serve it. If you do that, then it'll stay in solid pieces and come out of the pan beautifully. If you try to slice and serve it too soon, it'll fall apart and you'll see a bunch of liquid in the bottom of the pan.

Bacon and Potato Frittata
Serves 6

1/3 pound bacon, diced (8 slices)
1 small onion, diced
2 large cloves garlic, chopped
6 small red potatoes, sliced thin (about 2 cups)
8 large eggs
1/4 cup fat-free milk
1 tablespoon fresh herbs (I used basil, oregano, and thyme), minced
1/2 teaspoon black pepper, divided
1/2 cup extra-sharp cheddar cheese, grated

In a large cast iron or other ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat, cook bacon until crisp, about 8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove to paper towels with a slotted spoon, leaving grease in pan.

Add onion and garlic to pan and saute, stirring frequently, 2 minutes. Add sliced potatoes and sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Cook, stirring/flipping occasionally, about 10 minutes, until tender.

Meanwhile, preheat broiler.

In a bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, herbs, and remaining black pepper. When potatoes are done, pour egg mixture evenly over pan, making sure everything is covered. Reduce heat to medium-low and let cook without stirring for 8-10 minutes. Bottom and sides should be firm, but top should still be runny.

Remove pan from stove and move to broiler; broil 2-3 minutes until top is set and starting to brown. Sprinkle cheese over top and place back under broiler 2-3 minutes to melt. Be careful not to burn the top.

Remove pan from broiler and let stand 10 minutes before slicing and serving.

Serving Size: 175g
Calories: 315
Calories from Fat: 183
Total Fat: 20.4g
Saturated Fat: 7.5g
Trans Fat: 0.0g
Cholesterol: 286mg
Sodium: 743mg
Total Carbohydrates: 11.0g
Dietary Fiber: 1.2g
Sugars: 2.1g
Protein: 21.6g

No comments:

Post a Comment