17 January 2016

Broccoli with Bacon and Feta



This one almost didn't make it as a blog post, because it's really pretty simple. But since I've been slacking the last couple of months (or longer), it felt like I should write it up anyway. And since I'd taken the pictures as I went, I figured I might as well use them. Because who can't use a simple yet tasty (and fairly elegant looking if you're serving company) side dish?




I started with frozen broccoli, then figured bacon and onion would be good with it. Then I realized I had feta cheese, and I almost went with Greek seasoning until I saw the Tuscan from Spice Merchants. Add a splash of red wine vinegar, and I figured I was onto something.

You know what's weird? There isn't anything in this recipe that isn't pictured, nor did I decide to leave anything in this picture out as I cooked. Mark this on the calendar; it's the first time in the history of this blog that's happened!


I didn't take a picture of frying bacon, because I've got 847 of them already. Instead, I wanted to show you about how much grease was left from three slices of really cheap store brand bacon. Coincidentally, it's exactly how much oil I would have used to fry the onion if I'd needed any.


I started with just the onion, which I sliced, then quartered, then separated into rings. Then I decided to toss the broccoli in there since it was still fairly wet. And then because I was doing that, I added the Tuscan seasoning as well. Fried together, stirring occasionally, for something like four minutes. Might have been five.


Then I tossed the bacon back into the pan with the red wine vinegar and continued cooking, stirring occasionally, over very low heat just to ensure everything was warmed through. I let it go a lot longer than I needed to because the entree I was making at the same time took longer to cook than I anticipated, but it really only needs a couple of minutes.


Right before serving, I tossed in the feta cheese. The burner was still on when I added it, but I turned it off immediately so it wouldn't start to melt. I didn't really stir it together, but when we scooped some out to serve ourselves it ended up mixed into the broccoli quite nicely.


Easy, quick, tasty. The three main requirements of a side dish at my house if I have to actually make something rather than opening a can, microwaving something frozen, or putting a dollop of cottage cheese on the plate. It's even fairly healthy!



Broccoli with Bacon and Feta
Serves 2

3 slices bacon, chopped
8 ounces frozen broccoli, thawed and drained
1/4 cup onion, sliced, halved, and separated into rings
1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning (I used Tuscan from Spice Merchants)
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1/3 cup feta cheese, crumbled

Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat; add bacon and cook, stirring occasionally, until crisp, about 8 minutes. Remove bacon to a paper towel to drain, but leave drippings in pan.

Add broccoli, onion, and seasoning to pan and cook, stirring occasionally, 4 minutes or until broccoli and onion and tender.

Add red wine vinegar and bacon and continue cooking, stirring constantly, for 1-2 minutes more.

Sprinkle feta cheese on top to serve.

Serving Size: 204g
Calories: 346
Calories from Fat: 214
Total Fat: 23.8g
Saturated Fat: 9.6g
Trans Fat: 0.0g
Cholesterol: 70mg
Sodium: 1300mg
Total Carbohydrates: 10.7g
Dietary Fiber: 3.3g
Sugars: 3.7g
Protein: 22.6g

No comments:

Post a Comment