16 February 2016

Everything But the Kitchen Sink Cookies


Sometimes, you've just got to have chocolate chip cookies. I used to just use the Toll House recipe on the chocolate chip bag. I figure if it was good enough for my entire childhood, it's good enough for my adulthood. Makes sense, right?

And then a number of years ago I met a friend online who went by the name Ralf_Kramden. This recipe started out as his, but then I added some stuff to it because it didn't quite have everything I wanted as he wrote it. And now I almost never make just regular Toll House cookies, because these are so exponentially better I can't even explain it. And every time I make or eat one, I remember Neal, and I smile. He passed away a few years ago, but he was really the one who got me started on this whole making and posting recipes online thing. Who knew when we started talking on a now defunct computer tech message board's "kitchen" forum, I'd end up here?




It wasn't until I laid everything out on the counter that I realized these really do have pretty much everything but the kitchen sink in them. Sure, there's the usual flour, sugars, vanilla, baking soda, salt, eggs, and butter. But then you get to the good stuff. I usually use walnuts and pecans, but Neal often used hazelnuts (which are equally good). You can use whatever nuts make you happy, really. Or none if you have an allergy.

And then there are the chips. Neal's original recipe had semi-sweet and white chocolate, butter brickle, and either butterscotch or peanut butter or a mixture of the two. I go crazy. Semi-sweet, milk, dark, and white chocolate. Butterscotch, peanut butter, and Heath. It wasn't until a few days ago I found out there are two different kinds of Heath chips, or I'd have been using them both. Because I can.

Neal's original recipe also was half what I make. Not only do I normally double every cookie recipe I make, but it makes it easier to have so many varieties of chips and still have a chance at getting at least one of each kind in each cookie.


First step is to whisk together the dry ingredients. You don't have to sift, but whisking them ensures they're completely mixed and not clumpy. Yes, that is a spoon handle, but I had just taken the whisk out and put a spoon in the bowl before I remembered I needed a picture.


In a separate, larger bowl, beat together the butter, sugars, and vanilla. Once they're completely combined and pretty smooth, beat in the eggs one at a time. This is pretty much the end of using a hand mixer, but if you're using a stand mixer you can still continue without having to stir by hand.


Gradually add the dry mixture to the wet and beat or stir well between each addition. I usually do it in about four batches, but whatever works for you. You're going to end up with normal-looking chocolate chip cookie dough when you're done.


And then comes to good stuff. Stir in all of the nuts and chips you're using in whatever quantities you're using (total amount should be the same, but you can add or subtract or use more of one than another or whatever makes you happy). I usually end up stirring at first, then getting my hands into the dough to make sure all the chips and nuts are completely combined. There's nothing I hate more than eating what I think is going to be a fabulous cookie full of goodness and getting mostly dough.


Drop the dough by about tablespoonfuls on an ungreased baking sheet, about 2 inches apart. They do spread some, so you don't want them too close together. I should point out this is not a standard-sized baking sheet... This one is about half again as big as a regular one, and I can usually get at least 20 cookies on it. Which works well, because then I don't have to do the cookie sheet dance in my oven. I suck at that.


See, they do spread some, but not too badly. If they run together (as they inevitably will), just cut them apart with the edge of your spatula when they come out of the oven so they separate. Leave them on the cookie sheet for a couple of minutes, then move them to wire racks to cool. Then just scrape off any crumbs or whatever is left behind, add more dough, and continue on with your life. You don't need to wipe down the sheet between batches, but you certainly can if you want. It's also usually cool enough by the time you're adding more that heat isn't a problem, either.

Do yourself a favour. When you put the second batch in the oven, grab one (or more) of the ones that just came out and a big glass of cold milk. They'll still be almost too hot to eat, but not quite. All the chips will be melty and fabulous and your eyes will roll back in your head when you take the first bite.


I may not have a standard sized cookie sheet, but that is a standard-sized paper plate. I figured I'd include it to give you some idea of how big they get. I've never made them with margarine or shortening since the real butter gives them amazing flavour and texture, but if you use them instead it'll of course affect how much they spread and how thick and/or chewy they are. I don't mess with a good thing. Neal has never been wrong on any recipe of his I've ever used.

Everything But the Kitchen Sink Cookies
Makes 80

5 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons salt
2 cups unsalted butter, softened
1 1/2 cups dark brown sugar, packed
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
3 teaspoons vanilla
4 large eggs
3/4 cup walnuts, chopped
3/4 cup pecans, chopped
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1 cup milk chocolate chips
1 cup dark chocolate chips
1 cup white chocolate chips
1 cup Heath chips (either milk chocolate toffee or butter brickle)
1/2 cup peanut butter chips
1/2 cup butterscotch chips

Preheat oven to 375F.

In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt.

In a large bowl, beat together butter, sugars, and vanilla on low speed until smooth and creamy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well between each addition.

Gradually beat in flour mixture (you may have to give up on the hand mixer toward the end and mix by hand). Stir in nuts and chips and mix well (you may have to use your hands).

Drop by tablespoonfuls on an ungreased baking sheet about an inch apart. Bake at 375F for 10-12 minutes, until lightly browned on the edges. Let stand on baking sheet 2 minutes, then remove to racks to cool completely.

*Feel free to substitute different kinds of nuts or chips you like better as long as the quantity remains the same. I adapted this one from a from a friend who passed away. His original version used 2 cups mixed walnuts, hazelnuts, and pecans, 3 cups semisweet chips, 1 cup white chocolate chips, 1 cup butter brickle chips, and a mixed cup of peanut butter and butterscotch chips.

*Freezes well

Serving Size: 79g (2 cookies)
Calories: 356
Calories from Fat: 165
Total Fat: 18.3g
Saturated Fat: 9.6g
Trans Fat: 0.0g
Cholesterol: 44mg
Sodium: 304mg
Total Carbohydrates: 45.5g
Dietary Fiber: 1.4g
Sugars: 26.6g
Protein: 4.1g

If you're interested in the original recipe as Neal wrote it, I've got it posted over at Recipezazz.

No comments:

Post a Comment