18 July 2014

Bacon, Sausage and Potato Frittata Squares

Frittata, quiche, crustless quiches...I honestly don't know the difference between the three, although I know there is one. I've even looked it up, but I still am unclear since everyone seems to have their own idea. Here's how I look at it: Quiche is like pie, with a crust. Crustless quiche is like pie, without a crust (and in my world always baked in a glass pie plate). Frittatas are usually done on the stove, but if they're baked then they are done in a square pan.

Is that an official definition? Not even a little. I make stuff up all the time.

At any rate, this is one I made up as I went along based on several odds and ends of things in my kitchen that needed to be used up or tossed. It would be good with a mixture of cheeses (pepper jack would be excellent), or with the addition of some bell peppers or mushrooms. But since I didn't have any of those things, they're not in this recipe. That's how I roll. Everything in this is an item I pretty much always have on-hand.






Bacon, Sausage, and Potato Frittata Squares
Serves 6


Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups red potato (grated)
1/3 cup Vidalia onion (minced)
3 tablespoons butter (melted)
1/4 pound bacon (cooked and crumbled)
14 ounces sausage, smoked (cooked and diced)
1/2 cup scallions (thin sliced, white and green parts)
1 cup cheddar cheese (grated)
5 large eggs
1/2 cup fat-free milk
2 teaspoons seasoning blend (I use Spice Merchants Caribbean Islands Blend)
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder 

Preheat oven to 350F; spray a 9x9 square pan with nonstick cooking spray.
Combine grated potato, onion, and melted butter and press into pan to form a crust.



Bake potato crust for 10 minutes; meanwhile, combine bacon, sausage, scallions, and cheese. Spread mixture evenly into crust.



Whisk together eggs, milk, and seasonings; pour over meat and cheese mixture and spread evenly.



Bake at 350F for 45-50 minutes, until completely set and starting to brown.



Let stand 5 minutes before serving.


As always, I realize not everyone shops at Spice Merchants, and also even if you have a franchise location near you they may not have the same blends the original by my house does. I tried to find the Caribbean Islands blend on their website and it wasn't there, but I picked mine up at the farmer's market last time I saw them there. Whatever spice blend is your favourite will work; it just needs something for depth of flavour.

Serving Size: 1 (233.5 g)
Calories 530.3
Total Fat - 40.7 g
Saturated Fat - 16.4 g
Cholesterol - 259 mg
Sodium - 1197.4 mg
Total Carbohydrate - 12.1 g
Dietary Fiber - 1.3 g
Sugars - 1.2 g
Protein - 27.9 g

No comments:

Post a Comment