06 July 2014

Basic Pantry Items

When I first started the Facebook page, I was asked for some ideas of foods to keep on-hand that could always result in a meal even on short notice without a plan. Obviously everyone's taste is different, but here are some things I always keep on the shelf or in the freezer. Putting them together in various combinations with different herbs and spices often results in a new recipe, made with things I already own.




  • can beans, all varieties
  • can cream of mushroom soup
  • frozen broccoli (and other vegetables)
  • chicken breast (easily frozen)
  • can tomatoes
  • smoked sausage (easily frozen)
  • bacon (easily frozen)
  • cheese
  • onions (can be chopped and frozen)
  • green pepper (can be chopped and frozen)
  • chicken/beef broth
  • brown rice (Minute Rice, because it's quick)
  • can mushrooms
  • can chicken/tuna
  • tomato sauce
  • can pineapple
  • minced garlic (comes in a jar)
  • butter (can be frozen)
  • cream cheese (can be frozen, but needs to be beaten after defrosting)
  • cottage cheese
  • sour cream
  • salsa
The big thing is to keep an eye on sales, especially if you have room to store things. I have several shelves in my basement stocked with various canned goods, and I keep an inventory list upstairs so I know what's there without having to run down. Then when things are on sale, I stock up.

Depending on the number of people you have to feed (I have two), there are a number of frozen vegetable blends with sauce that come in very handy that are pretty healthy. Green Giant has a few different styles, and I always have some in the freezer for quick side dishes.

No comments:

Post a Comment