18 December 2014

Cherry Pie Filling Bread


I really wish this was my recipe, but it's not. I make it every year because it's so darn fabulous I can hardly stand it. The original can be found at Food.com, although I've re-written the directions a bit so they make more sense to me. What I love about this one is it makes two loaves, and it freezes beautifully. Just wrap tightly in plastic wrap and then put it in a zip-top freezer bag. To thaw, just leave it out on the counter for a few hours.




Fancy and complicated it's not. Flour, sugar, oil, eggs, vanilla, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, cherry pie filling, and pecans. It's quick bread - which is the only kind I make since yeast and I get along not even a little.


First step is to beat the eggs, oil, and vanilla until well-blended. It takes a bit, but once it starts blending it goes fairly quickly. I usually beat for a minute or two after it appears to be mixed just to be sure.


Set the first bowl aside, and sift the dry ingredients into a second bowl. Sifting is important to give the bread its texture, so don't skip it. It also comes in very handy if, like me, you live where it is always humid and your sugar forms hard lumps. Running it through the sifter gets rid of them.


The recipe doesn't say whether you should continue using your electric mixer to combine the dry with the wet ingredients, but my particular mixer is only partially interested in doing it. I usually add the dry in three batches, and after the second one I have to mix by hand. The batter will seem far too dry, but don't worry about it. You'll be adding the pie filling in a second and it'll help. That's also why I'm never too fussed about not getting every last bit of flour mixed in yet.



See? Once you stir in the cherry pie filling and the pecans, there's plenty enough liquid. You can leave the nuts out if you'd rather (or if you need to due to allergies), but they definitely add something to the finished product. I have often put nuts in only one loaf, when I've been making some for a friend who doesn't care for nuts.


Divide the batter evenly between two greased and floured (or sprayed with Pam for Baking, which I love) 9x5-inch loaf pans and into the oven it goes. It usually takes about an hour, but it'll depend on how good you were at dividing batter. This time around, one loaf was done in an hour straight up while the other one needed an additional 5 minutes. Test with a toothpick to make sure it comes out clean.


That's where the original recipe ended. I've found if I leave the bread in the pans for 10-15 minutes, then transfer to cooling racks, I'm most successful. To make sure the bread stays pretty on top, I first flip it upside-down onto a plate and then flip it back right side up onto a cooling rack. It takes about 3 hours for it to cool, although I've left it out for as many as six hours without any adverse affects. You want to make sure it's completely cool before sealing it in anything, though, or you'll get condensation buildup.


I always cut each loaf in half lengthwise, then slice, because it makes it easier to include on holiday goody trays. Nutrition information is figured on my serving calculation, which is 16 slices per loaf for a total of 32 servings.


For variety, I've also made this using blueberry pie filling and walnuts instead of cherry pie filling and pecans. It's not quite as good, but then I love cherry more than blueberry. It's certainly not bad, and I never have any left.

Cherry Pie Filling Bread
Serves 32

1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
3 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 cups flour
2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 (20 ounce) can cherry pie filling
1 1/2 cups pecans, chopped (optional)

Step 1
Preheat oven to 350F; grease and flour two 9x5-inch loaf pans.
Step 2
Beat oil, eggs and vanilla together with an electric mixer.
Step 3
Sift dry ingredients together; gradually beat into liquid mixture.
Step 4
Stir in pie filling by hand; stir in nuts if using.
Step 5
Divide batter evenly between prepared loaf pans.
Step 6
Bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour, until a toothpick inserted near center comes out clean.
Step 7
Leave in pans 10-15 minutes, then remove to wire racks and cool completely before slicing.
Step 8
Delicious as-is, or with butter or cream cheese frosting. Sometimes I sprinkle the tops with confectioners' sugar as the loaves are cooling.

Serving Size: 47 g
Calories: 182
Calories from Fat: 98
Total Fat: 10.9 g
Saturated Fat: 1.9 g
Trans Fat: 0.0 g
Cholesterol: 13 mg
Sodium: 92 mg
Total Carbohydrates: 20.3 g
Dietary iber: 0.8 g
Sugars: 9.5 g
Protein: 1.8 g

Again, not really my recipe... I just re-wrote it a little. The original comes from Food.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment