13 January 2015

Apple and Thyme Chicken


This is a recipe I actually made last September, but apparently never posted anywhere. That happens sometimes, especially when I get busy. But the bonus is now I'm reminded of it and will most likely end up making it again in the relatively near future. As opposed to a great number of recipes I've been making and posting lately, this one is actually diabetic-friendly.

It's not my recipe. It comes from Diabetic Lifestyle.



This actually was two boneless, skinless chicken breast halves. The recipe doesn't say to, but I cut each one in half to make four servings out of this. Otherwise, I'm not entirely sure how you'd do it. Instead of shallots I just diced a yellow onion, the thyme was from my garden, I used Olde Thompson's Garlic & Pepper grinder, and balsamic vinegar and a Granny Smith apple.




First step was easy enough. Sprinkle the chicken with salt and pepper (I used the Olde Thompson's instead). Core and slice the apple, then lay it on top of the chicken. I didn't plan it, but sometimes I get lucky... There were 12 slices of apple, so each piece of chicken got three.



Next, scatter the shallot (onion, whatever) and thyme over the apple slices. A note here: The recipe says you can use dried thyme instead of fresh, but the fresh was so darn fabulous I hesitate to agree. I suppose if you've never had it with fresh it would be fine, but fresh is almost always better.



Final step before it goes in the oven is to sprinkle everything with balsamic vinegar. I have no idea if I used 1/4 cup as the recipe calls for or another amount; I poured it directly into the palm of my hand from the bottle and let it drizzle over everything. I always do it that way because if I pour it from the bottle onto my food I end up with a bunch of it in one spot and none in most other places.



It looks almost the same when it comes out of the oven, although obviously the chicken is now cooked instead of raw. The apples do brown a bit, but they don't burn. The recipe says to spoon the apples onto the chicken once you plate it, but I just picked it up carefully so the apples didn't fall off.



I did, however, spoon some of the pan juices over the top after I cut my piece, although I don't have a picture of that because by then I was more interested in eating than in picture-taking. This is a darn fine way to fix chicken, that lends itself well to any season.


Apple and Thyme Chicken
Serves 4

2 whole boneless and skinless chicken breasts, about 1/2 pound each, halved and all traces of fat removed
cooking spray
salt (optional) and freshly ground pepper to taste
1 medium Granny Smith or other tart green apple, cored and thinly sliced
1 shallot, minced
1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves or 1 teaspoon crushed dried thyme
¼ cup balsamic vinegar
fresh thyme sprigs for garnish


Calories: 163
Protein: 27 g
Total Fat: 2 g
Saturated Fat: 0.4 g
Carbohydrate: 9 g
Dietary Fiber: 1 g
Cholesterol: 66 mg
Sodium: 78 mg

Again, not my recipe. I found it at Diabetic Lifestyle.

No comments:

Post a Comment